Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Quitting Facebook

I have been thinking about this for a while. A long while. And today, I decided that I would finally quit Facebook for good. I keep telling myself that I have been using Facebook for the past 9 years in order to keep in touch with people. Long-lost friends from around the country and around the world. And to some extent, I have used it for that. I have been able to keep track of weddings and babies and travels in a way that I surely wouldn't have without it. But as the years go by, in addition to weddings and babies and travels, it has become sort of an obnoxious version of email forwards that I still somehow choose to log in and view, in hopes of finding the rare actual life update. I'm drowning in quiz results, memes, political angst, and much more that I feel is too much. I feel like some of it I don't know my Facebook friends well enough to know their opinion on every. single. thing. So I am opting to take the task of keeping in touch with people the old-fashioned way. Before I delete my account, I will give out my email address, mailing address, and phone number, and hopefully some people will give me theirs in exchange.
The biggest obstacle: the thousands upon thousands of pictures to sift through. What to keep, and what to delete forever? I started this today, and let me tell you, it will take some time. Snapfish is overwhelmed, too. And I may just have to start a travel photo blog, for all the pictures that I probably don't want to print out, but don't have the heart to delete (and are pictures from 2 computers ago). Gosh it's hard being nostalgic. 
So that's that. I have started the long process of quitting Facebook. As soon as I get the pictures figured out, it should be a quicker process.
Have you ever thought about quitting Facebook? What would be the easiest part? What would be the most difficult?

No comments:

Post a Comment