Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2014

March 22, 2014

Psalm 95, Exodus 16:27-35, John 4:1-6

What can we learn about keeping the Sabbath from the Exodus passage? Can you relate to the Israelites who still went out on the morning of the Sabbath to look for food? The Sabbath is a gift from the Lord, and keeping it is one of the commandments. Do we accept this gift well? I like the idea of gathering twice as much food the day before. In my final year at seminary, I started the practice of doing no homework on the Sabbath. It made for really busy Saturdays, but it was so nice to have a day off from thinking about assignments before the week started again. We have not done anything formally in recent months for the Sabbath, though maybe it is time to start again. I have no schoolwork...but maybe I could arrange for no cooking on that day? Or no preparing (gathering) food? Definitely something to think about. What does your Sabbath look like? I do know that a common response to the question, "how was your weekend?" is "I wish I had a day to recover." What if we made it a priority to take a day and recover and prepare for the coming week! It is a gift from the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment