Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2014

April 6, 2014

Fifth Sunday in Lent 

Lately I've been thinking about the type of person I want to be, and the type of example I want to be for my little family. For Lent I gave up using my phone for social media. It has caused me to consider what I do in idle moments. Do I resort to staring at my phone every chance I get? Do I create idle moments when something else needs to be done (ie, the house is a wreck, and the dishes and laundry are piling up, and I haven't actually read a book or done something crafty in a while...better just sit here and check Twitter). Ugh. Why do I choose this? Why am I drifting through life without engaging it? Perhaps for you it is something else that distracts you from doing meaningful or necessary things (TV? Netflix? Staring at the wall?). 

I am not saying that partaking in social media is bad. In fact, we are currently in a time of transition, and feeling sort of isolated, and sometimes social media can make us feel like we are connecting in some small way. But if it is taking over our lives, something needs to change. Priorities need to be made.

I would like to work toward spending my evenings not in front of a screen (with the exception of writing this blog). Instead, I would like to finish up any unfinished housework, do something crafty (sew, knit, etc), read a book, play a game, or just have a good conversation. And I would like to model that for my kids. I don't want them to think that the time between the evening meal and bedtime is to be used for mindlessness or idleness. Obviously there will be special occasions where we will snuggle up with some hot chocolate and watch a movie, but it will be together. And I can wait until everyone is in bed to blog.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this sort of thing, and then today's verses are all about the Lord reviving dry bones, not letting sin control you, and Jesus raising his friend Lazarus from the dead. I feel like there needs to be a revival in our house, and we are on the way to it. Ok. Time to get off the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment