Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Simple Life

Friends (friend? blog reader?), I have been craving a simpler life. One with less stuff. Fewer things. Over the past 8 years, we have moved several times...from Minnesota to Pennsylvania to Lithuania, back to Pennsylvania, back to Minnesota. Some of the things that we packed several years ago are still in boxes...the same boxes. Some of the things that we unpack and then repack and then lug around are getting tiresome. Why. Why do we have and accumulate so much stuff? Some stuff we save for "just in case." Some stuff we are merely too busy to sort through and get rid of. Ugh.
Soon, we will be moving again (this time just a couple miles away), to a tiny little apartment. I am ok with living in a tiny little apartment, we have lived in far tinier (though having a toddler makes any place seem even smaller...oddly enough). And even though the task seems overwhelming (especially when I've been so busy re-watching the entire series of How I Met Your Mother), I really, really want to take this opportunity to sift through stuff. Downsize. Simplify. Do we really need so many mugs? Do we really need a closet and dresser full of clothes when we, if we are honest with ourselves, cycle through the same three outfits over and over?
When all is said and done, I'm sure we will still end up putting a lot of things in storage, for just in case, or for seasonal purposes. But my goal is to get rid of a lot of things. I don't want to be crammed into whatever living space we are in. I get anxious around the constant clutter of unused things.

In what ways do you simplify your own life?

No comments:

Post a Comment